Monday, May 30, 2011

Irish Go Back To Fresno To Nab Greenberry

By Jake Brown:

IRISH ILLUSTRATED.COM LINK: GREENBERRY TO ND
It wasn't long ago that Deontay Greenberry had Notre Dame high on his list even without a scholarship offer on the table.
Greenbery's cousin, four-star cornerback Tee Shepard, was already committed to the Irish. There had been a little bit of interest as Greenberry started to make a name for himself on the camp circuit.
West Coast recruiter Mike Denbrock swung through Fresno, Calif., during the first week of May to extend a scholarship offer and, although the Greenberry didn't commit on the spot, it seemed like a formality that he would join Shepard as part of the Class of 2012.
That turned out to be exactly the case. The four-star wide receiver became commitment No. 9 for Notre Dame on Friday, just hours after Virginia safety C.J. Prosise made his own commitment late the night before.
"It was just a matter of time," Greenberry said. "I pretty much knew what I was gonna do. I kind of knew it was gonna be them this whole time. My coaches were kinda getting tired of all the colleges coming up. Since I knew I decided to pull the trigger."
Greenberry chose the Irish over scholarship offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Boise State, Cal, UCLA, UNLV, Washington and Washington State. LSU, Miami and USC were also interested.
The 6-foot-3, 187-pound prospect joins Florida product Justin Ferguson as the second wide receiver commitment in this recruiting cycle.
"I feel like I can come in and contribute to their offense," said Greenberry, who plans to join Shepard on an unofficial visit to South Bend the weekend of June 11. "Or whatever they want me to do. I just wanna help them, you know?"
Checking in at No. 115 in the initial Rivals250, Greenberry broke onto the national recruiting scene with a standout performance at the Badger Sports 7-on-7 tournament in Las Vegas.
Scholarship offers started to roll in and Greenberry backed up his initial ranking with another strong performance at the Stanford NIKE Football Training Camp in Palo Alto, Calif., where Shepard also worked out.
Other programs would likely have joined the mix had Greenberry not committed and they still might. At this point Greenberry is committed but would like to take some visits.
"I'm taking all my visits," Greenberry said. "Of course. I wanna go to some places I've never seen before."

No comments:

Post a Comment